Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Review: Laney



Laney by Joann I. Martin Sowles
  • Paperback: 300 pages
  • Publisher: Brookehaven Publishing (December 14, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0984486712
  • ISBN-13: 978-0984486717
In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life-that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he? As Laney's sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure-including a love she didn't know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge. As she fights for her life, and Oliver's love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn't so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver's most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn...


Okay, since almost all of the other reviewers have given Oliver’s identity, I might as well, laid it in the open. You get it, Oliver is a vampire. And this book reminded me a lot of Twilight, in a good way.

First and foremost what makes this different from YA paranormal books is because the protagonists are in college. Which makes them more mature and easier to relate to.

The first pages were a little bit slow, although I understand the author was giving us the background of the character and her surroundings. It was when mysteries are uncovered that the book get into action/interesting mode.

I like Ms. Sowles writing style, it was smooth and each chapter leaves you with another clue to the mystery that was the foundation of this whole book. It’s just that the line “Oliver is gorgeous” appearing multiple times in the book annoyed me a bit..:)… well, maybe some girls could not really stop if a boy proved to be really handsome but I’m the type where “Ok, I get it, he’s handsome, that’s it”. But maybe a little less on the swooning and gushing and on “Oliver’s gorgeous/handsome/beautiful/stunning” would really make this book great. And credit to the author, Oliver Knight is such an awesome name.

I really like Laney, she was not just a heroine in the book. She comes off strong and weak at the same time, with true feelings both with her friends and family. She has that personality which would make you love her in an instant. But then enter Oliver Knight, and it would seem another soul was in Laney’s body. By then I don’t understand Laney’s actions, sometimes it was really stupid of her to do that. But then I realize, meeting the boy of your dreams could easily make a teen go crazy, even a tamed one..lol..

Another thing I loved about this book, is that it doesn’t just dwell on romance, there’s a lot of action too. And yet it was not too much to override Laney and Oliver’s developing romance. Add with that humor and mystery.

The book ends with a lot of things going on, and questions unanswered. Seriously, I’m flocked with questions about Laney’s family. About the coven and even about each of the character’s life. The night I finished reading Laney, I sleep with questions at the back of my mind. I can’t wait for Book Two-Darkness which was fortunately out now on bookstores..:)

Laney is a book that would keep you alert or always on the edge of your seat anticipating what would happen next. It was quite a good book not just on YA romance but with mystery too that would make you love Vampire Paranormal in a new way. Highly recommended to Twilight and Vampire Diaries fans out there!

Cover: Don’t get me wrong I love it but it could have been better. With maybe a true model in the background, I don’t know. :D





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Listia

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com